Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bittersweet

WE.ARE.MOVING. As many people have heard by now, we are moving to Bloomington, IN to continue to work with IU Fraternity and Sorority students. I finally finished my bachelor's degree in December, which made it possible for me to join on campus staff work with InterVarsity. This whole process started in December with Brandt and I talking through a few things. We are really tired of him traveling two days a week, every week. It worked for a while, especially since we love being close to family (lots of them), love our church, love our house church and our friends here in Indy it just made sense for us to live here and for him to commute. But with two little kids, it just doesn't feel sustainable anymore AND I really want to join staff.:) Apart from all the logical points as to why it just "makes sense" for us to live in Bloomington, Brandt and I feel very called by God to move. We both really want to see campus ministry grow tremendously at IU and know that will take us living in community and close proximity to students and campus. To have our boys grow up not just hearing about what we do when we go to work, but seeing and living daily ministry.

We put our house on the market on Monday, and have had/will have 7 showings this week already (God is GOOD). With all the excitement with the decision to move, getting our house ready and looking at some houses in Bloomington; I think the reality of moving set in last night. I like change, so when it is on the horizon it's very easy for me to just experience excitement. But as I was driving home with both the boys after spending the day at my parents because of showings, tears quickly began running down my face. All of a sudden it hit me, Brandt and I have lived and experienced so much life in Indianapolis. We met here, came to know God here, got married here, had our kids here, bought our first house here, etc...etc... Indianapolis has been so much a part of our life, especially the people here. I'm sad to move. I am nervous about building a new community, starting over, finding friends. I am certainly in process. God is so good to give us visions and confirmations in hard decisions we make, otherwise it would make the process almost impossible. I am thankful to be able to start recognizing how much these people and this place means to me before we leave so I can soak up every moment. Fully understanding Bloomington is only 1 1/2 hours away, but still not quit the same.As Brandt pointed out to me last night, the one thing we did do in Bloomington was fall in love with each other and grow a deeper love for Greek students coming to know God. So I can't think of a better place to start a new chapter of life for our family.

Last night, as I was crying, I was listening to an old but great song by Fernando Ortega "Give Me Jesus", he simply states no matter what part of my day or where in life, just Give me Jesus. This is exactly how I feel, admits the craziness of selling our home, buying a home, filling out my (long) staff application, raising boy crazy boys and learning how to say good bye... just give me Jesus- because with out Him, none of this will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment